Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blog 4

Stedman Summary: In Stedman’s article Annoying ways people use sources, he starts off by comparing slow drivers to people who use annoying writing on page 243, which I totally agree with analogy and I think it a good way to think about it. He gives good examples of the write way to put quotes into writing, such as the short zombie story on page 245. I really like on page 246 and 247 how he says it is okay to start or end a paragraph with a quote as long as you do it right. I never knew you could even do that writing and I think it would be something interesting to attempt. Another point Stedman makes in this article is to not move on to the next topic to quickly. I think that the main point that Stedman wanted people to get out of this article was that when you are writing, you can not write and just throw things in there like people know what you are talking about. You have to make them go in an order and explain them in ways that other people but yourself will be able to understand. I thought that this was a very good article for students to read and I really enjoyed it, because it gave me a new view on how to use quotes and how not to be “Annoying” with them as Stedman stated.

Stedman Questions: I think that all of these authors articles compare to one another in the way that they all are saying how writers need to think from the readers point of view sometimes and what they want them to get out of their writing. I also think that all really emphasize the importance of using quotes in your writing and properly citing them. In the past I have been taught to use like two or three quotes in each paragraph of my essays, and usually no more or no less. This can sometimes get annoying because I feel that sometimes there is no reason for a quote in a certain paragraph, and sometimes there are reasons to use a lot of them. I think that my views about how to use sources have really changed, especially after reading the Stedman article and seeing how many different ways you can use quotes and where you can put them, such as at the beginning of a paragraph. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that that the only difference between these writers is that Steadman provided examples as how to not do certain things that the other writers didn't explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reed, I really liked the way you summed up this article by using a lot of examples from the chapter. I also talked about in my summary how the analogy of writers and drivers was interesting and important for explaining the relationship between the writer and the reader. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete