1.The first piece of work that I put into my portfolio was my paper number 2 which was called The Writing Process: Through My Eyes. With this paper I was trying to go through my writing process and see if I can find similarities that should be in all writing. My main point of this paper was that everyone writes differently and that there is not really a correct way to do it. I found that the main thing that seems to be key part of all writing, or at least should be a key part of writing is time. No matter what you are writing or the steps you go through to get to the final product, it always requires a lot of time for it to be a good piece of writing. I think that the strengths of this paper are my main point arguments and the conclusion that I come to at the end. I would say that a weak point of my paper would be my introduction. I felt that I had a little trouble figuring out how to have a stronger introduction. Overall I think that after the revisions that I made on this paper that it turned out very good. I chose to include this piece of work in my portfolio because I think that is demonstrates how I write. Also, I think that this paper shows and has made me realize how I have improved in my writing process of the course of the quarter. The changes that I have made with this paper are that I incorporated more sources, which made my argument stronger. And I also took your suggestions on how to better introduce it
Link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/85508322/Paper-2-for-Portfolio
2.The second piece of work that I chose to put in this portfolio was my paper 4 which is called Plagiarism: In A New Light. With this paper I was trying to explore the ideas of plagiarism and what it consists of. My main point was that the writing community today has a vague definition of what plagiarism is which is causing students to get wrongfully punished or accused for acts of plagiarism that they did not commit. And also that the writing community needs to change its views on plagiarism. The main way that I supported my claim was through many interviews that I conducted of students and teachers asking them questions about plagiarism and their views. I think that strong points in my paper are my introduction and the way that introduce the idea of plagiarism and what it is. The weak points in my paper would probably be my conclusion. I feel like It gets at almost everything that I wanted to say but not quite everything. I entered this into my portfolio because I believe that this is the most complete paper that I have ever written. I think that it overall flows very well and really gets my point across. I used a lot of good articles and sources to back up my point and made may large revisions to it. The changes that I made to this paper were some formatting and flow changes that you suggested I make. And Also I add in my interviews and made those the main focus like you suggested.
Link: would not upload to scribd, I emailed it to you
3.The third item that I included in my portfolio was my peer response to Lanie’s paper 4. I included this because I felt like I did a very good job with this peer response. The first reason is because Lanie told me after reading over this that it really helped her with her paper, especially with the conclusion and with reframing some of her wording. Also I feel like by this last paper I really got the hang of how to write a peer response for someone. I feel like this was the first peer response that I wrote that actually helped someone make their paper better.
Link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/85508912/Lanie-Paper-4-Peer-Review
4.The fourth item that I put into my portfolio was blog post from the final reading. I chose to include this in my portfolio because I believe that this last reading post ahs all of the elements that you were looking for all quarter from everyone. The summary states the arguments and what is going on in the article and the questions and responses are in-depth. The strengths of this post are my summary and the questions, I feel like I did a very good job on those. I really do not think that this post has any weaknesses to it, but if I had to pick I would say that I could expand on my reflection a bit more.
Link: refer to my blog post 17
ARGUMENT FOR AN A:
I believe that I deserve an A in English 151 for many reasons. First, I have done all the required work for the course, and I strongly believe that I have done it to the best of my ability at this stage in my writing career. Next, I have participated and contributed to the class when I had a new idea to present that has not yet been said. I believe that this was an important skill that I learned this quarter that participating and adding new ideas to a class room helps to learn better and see things in a different way. Next, I have revised and revised these two papers that I am putting in this portfolio. I believe that I have listened to everything you and my peers have said on how to make my papers better and I have went back and correct them. Next, I know that my peer response have become a lot better of the course of this quarter. I think that this is deserving of an A because I think that a main point of this class was to get better at helping people correct their work and give criticisms. I believe that by the end of this course I mastered that with the last peer review. And my evidence for this was that Lanie specifically told me that it was a great help to her in revising her paper. Finally, I believe that my reading skills over this course have improved a lot and are A quality work. I believe that my last blog post from the readings really reflects everything that you wanted out of use all semester. The summary is conducted in the way that you have asked us to do it and all the parts of the rest of the response are there. I know that my reading skills and pulling out main ideas from a reading have greatly improved this quarter and are deserving of an A. Overall I know that I have gotten all of the key points that you wanted use to take away from this class, writing skills, reading skills, discussion skills, and editing skills, and I know that it will help me in my writing in the future. I believe that this class has made me produce the best writing of my academic career. I hope that you can consider giving me the A that I deserve.
ABOUT THE CLASS:
There were many things that really liked about this course. First, I liked the grading scale. I think that this is great way to grade an English class and I think that they should all be graded like this. I think this because it helps us as young writers to focus and worry less about the grade and more about taking our time and making our writing the best it can be. The next thing that I liked was the readings. I think that almost all of the readings were very helpful in helping us to learn and see different viewpoints about writing. There were also a few things that I did not like about the course. The main thing being the amount discussions that you conducted that sometimes seemed to go now where because no body would talk. I think that the way that you could fix this would be more small group work with discussions within those groups and then go around to each group and have them share what they found or said with class. I think with small group work like this it will make the class more willing to talk. I think this because when you have other people backing up your ideas before you say them in front of the class, it makes you feel better about saying them out loud. I learned many things from taking this class. First I learned just overall how to be a better writer. I learned a lot about my own writing process, which is why paper 2 was very helpful. Also, I leaned how to better edit people work and help them make it better. I don’t think that there is anything that I did not learn that I wish I had learned from this class. The one think that I think could have been better was the amount of group work. I think this because it will cause more discussion in the classroom. Overall I have no complaints and I really liked this class and the way you taught it.
No comments:
Post a Comment