Sunday, January 8, 2012

Blog 2


Summary of Rosenberg Reading: Rosenberg talks about how hi experience in college with reading did not start off so great. Talks about rhetorical reading and how important it is. He talks about how most writers direct there writing to a specific audience. I think that Rosenberg was trying to explain to us in this article that reading may not always be fun or you may not think it is useful, but that may just be because you haven’t look deep enough into it.

Summary from book: In this section the authors talk about what is actually true and what people believe to be true. Kantz makes a lot of good arguments in this chapter and many of them I agree with. She first talks about how teachers need to tell their students what they are doing wrong and give them constructive criticism, she explained this through the story of Shirley. She also talks about being an encoder and a decoder and how important it is in writing. Kantz also talks about how teachers need to teach students how to gather good arguments from a textbook. The most important thing to take from this chapter for students is that textbooks are not always completely filled with facts.

Rhetoric: When the word rhetoric is used, it means to used language effectively or in the correct contexts based on who the readers are. It has to do with academic articles because depending on what language you use or who your intended readers are may change the meaning of a word or phrase.

Rhetorical: It is how we understand, interpret, and strategically use writing.

1.     I think that Kantz is saying that facts opinions and arguments are all things we get or take from other people and that are usually never truly our own.

2.     How sources can disagree in different ways. Students expect all the correct   answers to problems and research to be in a textbook. Students think that the things they read in textbooks are always facts but a lot of times they are just an opinion. Students need to learn how teach people, show a different view point, and answer questions in their papers rather than just repeating the information they have gathered. I feel that I still do not have a great understanding of these things, but through practice writing I will be able to further understand them.

3.     Yes, it taught me that using real life stories can be a very good way to persuade a person to think what you want. It can also help the reader to better understand what the writer is talking about, and the point they are trying to get off.

6. Yes I do think that after reading this chapter my views will be changed. I thing that we a look at a textbook not to always take it as 100% true facts. And that when I do writing and research to come up with my own ideas and try to go beyond just what I have already read.

Meta Moments Question: Kantz is talking about using rhetoric a lot because she is talking about persuasive writing. And she is using plagiarism in these research papers and citing them but they are not necessarily true facts.

Paper Idea: Plagiarism

2 comments:

  1. I think you put a lot of thought into your answers and reading your response I understand the reading better, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely put a lot of time into your answers..I didn't know that we were supposed to do the comprehension questions at the end of the reading- I just blogged about what I learned from the reading/summarized it. I did notice that you referred to the writer as a man though, it was a woman. But that's not really important...other than that, it seems like you really understood the assigned reading...about assigned reading. I basically got the same main points out of it that you did

    ReplyDelete