I would define the word argument as a disagreement between people when talking about a certain topic. Even though I consider it to be a disagreement, I still think that argument can be good at times. When people use the word argument, it seems like most of the time they are using it in a bad way. For example, my girlfriend and I had a big argument today. In the academic setting the word argument is used in a much different way. I think that in the class room arguments over certain topics can be a good thing for the students because it gets them to think about different view points other than just their own. The major difference I see between these two is that one type of argument is hurting you and making you feel bad, and the other type is helping you to better learn.
1. Greene thinks that reading plays a very big role when it comes to writing. He is saying that since we are usually not the first ones to research a certain topic, that we must research a lot of different writing and pick and choose the things that we would like to use.
2. Greene quotes Burke again because he is trying to get his point across of how important argument is when it comes to writing and research. The metaphor that Burke wrote is about walking into a conversation and just picking up wherever the people are in the conversation. In a way I think that this is plagiarism because you are taking other peoples ideas and adding onto them.
3. Framing helps you to set up ideas on a topic that are conflicting to your argument. The metaphor that he uses, is that framing is like a camera lens because the author focuses in on one part of an argument that he wants to convey to the reader. This is similar to how a camera can focus in on whatever you would like to take a picture of. The concept of framing is important to Greene because he thinks that by using framing you can make the reader remember what you were talking about and your stance on what you were writing about. Framing allows a writer to focus in on the main point of the argument so that you will remember what it was about.
1. Yes, I think Greene’s article to represent a conversation. I think he is directing the conversation towards the readers on how to become a better writer. He frames his arguments by using other stories and writings from other people. Yes, I think he does use argument in his writing, he does this by arguing for point to use argument in your writing.
Reed, your response is extremely intriguing. You took some of the same things from the article as I did and I really appreciate how you articulated it. Your response to the first question was very interesting and made me think about the question in more detail.
ReplyDeleteReed,
ReplyDeleteI disagree that Greene's article was a conversation. All he did was use other author's work to back his statements up.